Project Time: 2 weeks 50%
Game: Created in Unity using C#
• Unity C#
What I learned
- Creating a C# game by using the current knowledge I have and searching for answers elsewhere to achieve the desired result.
- Creation of UI both technically and visually.
- Playtesting and balancing of a Shoot ém up game.
- Loading scenes in Unity using scripting commands.
Visual yet Enjoyable
When we were handed the assignment I instantly knew I wanted to make the game both fun gameplay wise but also visually appealing for my own sake. I knew I couldn’t focus too much on the graphical part so I chose basic sprites from the internet which I then customized and edited in Photoshop.
It was an incredibly enjoyable project were I at first struggled to learn the basics but later experimented with more movable objects, visual effects, particles and bullet types.
The project required the following:
- A movable player Character using the arrow keys
- A boss and playable character with visible health and attacks
- Several phases which the boss went through as it lost health
- Turrets and lethal parts on the boss that blinked red when damaged
To make it easier for me to keep track of everything I created a few easily customizable behaviors which I easily could change in the engine.
With these customizable parameters, I could easily change the turrets however I liked and balance the gameplay without any major changes in the scripts.
Tower Attack Options
- Attack Timer: The time in-between bullets fired.
- Reload Timer: Time in between bullets or bullet rounds.
- Bullet Limit: Amount of bullets shot each time.
- Projectile: Any projectile could be used.
- Health: Health value of the turret.
- Faced Object: Any object, most turrets had the player plane already set in the prefab.
The Turret will proceed to shoot all bullets set in Bullet limit with a latency from the reload timer and then wait based on the Attack timer until next round of bullets.
Example: Attack Timer = 6, Reload Timer = 3, Bullet Limit = 5. The Turret will shoot 5 bullets 3 seconds apart and then wait 6 seconds until it shoots again.
- Anti-air: Small Turret with relatively low health and quick attack. Ment to serve as basic “bullet-hell” turret.
- Cannon Turret: Fires a single slow-moving shell. Only used in first and second phase.
- Scatter Turret: Fires a shell like the Canon Tower which then scatters 8 smaller bullets every X seconds in 8 directions.
- Laser Turret: Fires a red beam straight out from the barrel dealing quick ticking damage.
- Rocket Turret: Triple Barreled Turret with player-seeking missiles. Each missile has a script which allows it to follow the player in a curve until it dies. Implemented to give the player a threat they simply couldn’t avoid by moving once.